- Plan your moving method (hiring movers or truck rentals) and get at least 3 estimates to compare.
- Make and Inventory of everything you want to move.
- Create a pack it or trash it list.
- Coordinate packing & storage services, if necessary.
- Lock in your move date.
- Purchase moving insurance to protect your property.
- Be sure to insure all valuable items.
- If you are packing yourself, get packing supplies (boxes, tape, padding, markers etc.).
- Transfer of important records like medical and dental records and children’s school records).
- Coordinate a yard or garage sale.
- Begin packing and clean as you go, we recommend room by room Out of season clothing, decorative items.
- If you have children, get them involved in the packing process.
- Pack items that you may need access to separately.
- Do not pack any medications that you may need in the next two weeks.
- Begin using up perishable foods.
- Personal Preparations.
- Check in with your move coordinator.
- Complete a change of address checklist.
Home Owners or
- Make copies of important documents, such as birth certificates and medical and dental records.
- Find new dentists and doctors.
- Squeeze in Some Goodbye Fun.
- Schedule goodbye partiers with all important people in your life.
- Let everyone know how they can stay in touch with you Finalize Travel Plans.
- If you are flying to your new residence, make sure your air travel is booked with no changes in the itinerary.
- If you are driving, schedule a tune up before you hit the road.
- Confirm hotel arrangements.
- Pack all essential items that you may need immediate access to during your first two nights in your new home.
- Be sure to label all boxes accordingly.
- Pay close attention to packing fragile/antique items and label them accordingly.
- Continue packing, be sure to not pack any tools you may need (screwdriver, pliers, wrench etc).
- Household Preparation.
- Schedule disconnection of utilities for 2 – 4 days after your move date, to allow for delays.
- Schedule connection of utilities at old and new place.
- Change the locks.
- Empty out any safe deposit boxes you may have and store them in a safe location.
- Set up your new bank accounts, if applicable.
- Coordinate having the day off for moving day.
- If moving out of state, notify the bank and credit card companies to prevent deactivation.
- Make an action plan for moving day.
- Prepare for any additional moving expenses that may happen.
- Pick up anything you were having cleaned or had in storage.
- Remove bedding and break down beds.
- Pick up rental truck, if applicable.
- Walk movers through the house to give an overview of what you want loaded.
- Make sure the movers have your new residence address.
- Plan to be on hand the day of the move to supervise packing and loading.
- After everything has been loaded, do a last walk around before signing off on the inventory list.
- Give the driver your exact address.
- Point out all fragile/valuable boxes to ensure special care is taken when packing/loading.
- Ensure that everything is turned off and that all doors and windows are locked.